Monday, October 6, 2008

Autumn Leaves


Greetings!

The autumn leaves will be at their peak this week here in the western mountains of Maine, so I hope you have made plans to pay us a visit to take in our fall colors or at least visit me.

I like the trees that look like yellow school buses this time of year, but my favorites are the red maple trees because moose look best with a red background.

I have been wondering why the leaves change color, so this year I decided to find out. Those beautiful red colors are caused by glucose in the leaves and that it is there all summer, we just can’t see it because of the green. It is amazing the things that one slightly technologically inept moose can learn online.

On another Moose tangent - Did you also know that of all the important acts our United States Congress has passed this year, the most notable was declaring National Watermelon Day (August 3rd)!

But on a serious note, what about National Moose Day? Just wanted to get your antlers tuned in for now, but more on that coming soon!

I wanted to send out a special hello to my friends who will be loitering at the Phillips Scarecrow Reunion starting on October 4th. People sure don’t need much of a reason to dress up their scarecrows in funny clothes now do they, but I have yet to see anyone dress one up like a moose. Now that would be almost as much of a spectacle as the autumn foliage!

No comments: